Do you and your partner:
- Escalate arguments into criticism, blame, defensiveness, and withdrawal?
- Wonder what has happened to trust and intimacy?
- Lack the ability to talk about feelings and needs?
- Feel alone and unfulfilled in your relationship?
- Feel the other may be having an affair (including an emotional affair)?
- Wonder how long your relationship will last?
These are common questions that lead people in distressed relationships to seek therapy individually or as a couple. Relationship distress is a pathway to negative patterns of communication that include criticism, defensiveness and withdrawal; as well as to substance abuse and other harmful behaviors. At Fort Lauderdale Therapy Center, we can help you and your partner to revise these patterns and create a safe foundation to examine the needs and feelings that underlie them so that you can talk to one another with understanding and sensitivity. We can help to bring closure to painful emotional relationship events, as well as to build the emotional resilience necessary to avoid a relapse into negative patterns.